To: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Bruce Campbell <bruce.campbell@ripe.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 12:03:31 +0100 (CET)
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: "local" zones

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003, Kenneth Porter wrote:

> --On Sunday, March 16, 2003 4:43 PM -0800 Edward Lewis <edlewis@arin.net>
> wrote:
>
> > Name servers offering recursive service ought to serve the zones listed
> > herein.
>
> That's an interesting idea. How might this be automated?

I'm not sure that the automated creation of new zones is quite what you'd
want for a list of 'local' zones.  It'd be more like the standard root
'hints' file (with the same issues regarding propagation delays due to it
being encoded in software releases etc).

I think most nameserver software just requires a reload to be issued for
them to notice additions/removals of zones in their configuration files,
and for preference, a reload on just the new zone.

                   Systems/Network Engineer                             NCC
                 www.ripe.net - PGP562C8B1B             Operations/Security