To: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Edward Lewis <edlewis@arin.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 10:51:43 -0800
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Radical Surgery proposal: stop doing reverse for IPv6.

This thread is a strong symptom of the (appearance of the) IETF
degenerating into a debating society.  It's not the topic, it's the
path of the discussion.

Whether or not reverse for IPv6 is done is not the real question.

The real questions are:

1) Will $<approach> for doing IPv6 reverse work?

2) If there are multiple positive answers to the above, do we need to
find a best approach and/or what set of approaches having positive
answers are interoperable?

3) If there is no positive answer to the above, is there a compelling
need to continue searching for an approach that will work?

So -
      of the approaches proposed to date, which ones 'work'?

And -
      does anyone want to make the compelling case we need despite the
      fact that there is apparently no 'working' approaches?  (Is so,
      this is input to the draft cited earlier in the thread.)

PS - I think it would be unwise to explicitly write off any effort in
any context.  I can understand allocating no resources to an effort
(effectively killing it via starvation) or ignoring an effort
(banishing it).  But I don't see a reason to declare that no one
shall continue to work on (the royal) 'it'.

Perhaps this is a reaction to an unintended interpretation of the
wording of the proposal.