To: Jim Reid <Jim.Reid@nominum.com>
Cc: Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>, dnsop@cafax.se
From: Ed Sawicki <ed@alcpress.com>
Date: 21 Feb 2003 08:52:56 -0800
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Why one port?

On Fri, 2003-02-21 at 01:46, Jim Reid wrote:

>     Ed> I want my systems to be as secure from attack as possible. To
>     Ed> me, this means never allowing both functions to be provided by
>     Ed> the same codebase.
>
> Fine. But by the same reasoning, you wouldn't want to provide both
> functions on the same box.

I can run both processes in the same computer safely because each
is running as a different non-root user and each is chrooted to
a different place in the file system. If I'm really paranoid, I
can run each in its own Linux virtual machine (UML) - all the while
using only one IP address.

> Beats changing the whole internet, no?

I suspect my response to this comment would be unpopular here.

--
Ed Sawicki <ed@alcpress.com>
ALC