To: Ed Sawicki <ed@alcpress.com>
Cc: Jim Reid <Jim.Reid@nominum.com>, Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>, dnsop@cafax.se
From: bert hubert <ahu@ds9a.nl>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 18:08:33 +0100
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Why one port?

On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 08:52:56AM -0800, Ed Sawicki wrote:

> > Beats changing the whole internet, no?
>
> I suspect my response to this comment would be unpopular here.

For what it's worth - if DNS continues to (d)evolve at the current rate, I
expect it soon to be usurped by other directory protocols that perhaps only
use DNS to find their .NET or whatever NameResolverService.

Grabbing the namespace is way too juicy a target for many to let it die and
degrade without trying to take over.

Why is it dying? The current issues with DNSSEC, AXFR interoperability, the
arbitrary creation of some top level domains and not others and the UTF-8
plugin & takeover by VRSN.

So I'd be all in favour of looking with an open mind towards 'DNS2'.

Regards,

bert

http://netherlabs.nl                         Consulting