To: "Richard J. Sexton Ph.D. J.D." <richard@vrx.net>
Cc: <Amadeu@nominalia.com>, <andy@ccc.de>, <jcohen@shapirocohen.com>, <junsec@wide.ad.jp>, <karl@cavebear.com>, <lyman@acm.org>, <lynn@icann.org>, <mouhamet@next.sn>, <vinton.g.cerf@WCOM.COM>, <apisan@servidor.unam.mx>, Ólafur Guðmundsson <ogud@ogud.com>, "Bill Manning" <bmanning@ISI.EDU>, <yjpark@myepark.com>, "Ron Sherwood" <sherwood@islands.vi>, "Richard Henderson" <richardhenderson@ntlworld.com>, <ray@fassett.org>, <love@cptech.org>, <k@widgital.com>, "Judith Oppenheimer" <joppenheimer@icbtollfree.com>, "Joop Teernstra" <terastra@terabytz.co.nz>, "Joe Baptista" <baptista@dot-god.com>, "Joanna Lane" <jo-uk@rcn.com>, <jefsey@jefsey.com>, <hfeld@mediaaccess.org>, <hans.klein@pubpolicy.gatech.edu>, <eric@hi-tek.com>, "Ben Edelman" <edelman@law.harvard.edu>, "@quasar Internet Solutions, Inc." <shore@quasar.net>, <dnsop@cafax.se>, <johani@autonomica.se>
From: "Jim Fleming" <JimFleming@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 08:01:57 -0500
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: That stability thing again

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard J. Sexton Ph.D. J.D." <richard@vrx.net>
Sent: Monday, October 07, 2002 11:31 PM
Subject: That stability thing again

> >"Folks that have serious commercial interests in a stable system will not be
> >amused when we start experimenting with the systems that they depend on.
>
> Oh, it's ok, they're used to it by now.
> http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99992883

If the U.S. Government concludes (based on bad advice) that their aging, 32-bit, legacy root servers
can only handle the load of 256 TLDs, then the 256 Best-of-Breed from the 2,048 Best-of-Breed can
be selected. It would be nice to think that some fairness was used and each of the 8 Regions would be
able to select (vote for) 32 TLDs as Best-of-Breed.
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/130dftmail/unir.txt

One can also use commercial statistics...ICANN of course ignored those with the selection of .COOP
0:203 ONLINE....Still the People's Choice...
http://www.icann.org/comments-mail/icann-current/msg00342.html
10514 INC - 17,686 matches for -INC
9264 ONLINE - 45,049 matches for -ONLINE
6472 USA - 13,447 matches for -USA
4481 GROUP - 12,273 matches for -GROUP
4101 WEB - 10,182 matches for -WEB
3891 TECH - 7,950 matches for -TECH
2762 DESIGN - 11,156 matches for -DESIGN
2570 SYSTEMS - 6,765 matches for -SYSTEMS

Clearly, some of the so-called ccTLDs would have to be removed to make room for the more
marketable (popular) TLDs.

http://www.byte.org/blog/
"To All NU Registrars, We regret to inform you that VeriSign GRS's
Agreement with the registry for the .NU top level domain, WorldNames,
has been terminated. As a result, VeriSign GRS hereby gives notice
of termination of your ccTLD Access Request for the .NU TLD under
VeriSign GRS's ccTLD Access Program Agreement. VeriSign GRS has no
choice but to close its .NU registration system. This closure will
be effective Friday, November 1, 2002, in accordance with section
6.1.c of the ccTLD Access Program Agreement. "
=======

Some people view LESS as MORE stable. They do not understand the Internet, but, that
does not stop them from flying around the world attempting to INCREASE the membership
in their EXCLUSIVE club. Their hypocrisy has no limits...

Home | Date list | Subject list