To: ogud@ogud.com (Ólafur Guðmundsson)
Cc: bmanning@ISI.EDU, johani@autonomica.se, dnsop@cafax.se
From: Bill Manning <bmanning@ISI.EDU>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 20:37:08 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Interim signing of the root zone.

% At 14:10 2002-10-07, Bill Manning wrote:
% >  some concerns:
% >
% >         DS only works in snapshot code.  And the publicly availble
% >         snapshots have known, serious operational problems. We -REALLY-
% >         need more stable code before committing this to production.
%
% Bill this is version 00 of the draft, your concerns are noted but
% this particular experiment is not starting next week or next month.
% This is the documentation for the experiment and Johan is seeking feedback.

	documentation for -an- experiment.  an experimental setup has
	existed and been running for over 2 years.  Signing the root
	zone in this testbed has been operational for three months,
	nearly as long as ther has been DS capable code.  I remain
	leary of experimentation with the live system.

% >         the selection of RIRs.  RIRs -DO- have the DNS as a primary
% >         field of activity.  (see in-addr.arpa.) The holders of
% >         forward space (.SE, DE, NL, etc.) become disinfranchised
% >         "customers".
%
% RIR are geographically competent operators for this experiment,
% for future production Layer 9 will become involved.

	"geographically competent"  - now there's a turn of phrase :)
	-IF- this is really an experiment, with the live system,
	then bounding the experiment is prudent.  I'd be -very-
	leary of giving even the suggestion of "early-implementor"
	bias to one vector of the possible keyholder pool.

% >         "sufficient number" and "out-of-band" are concepts that
% >         really need some concrete recommendations.
%
% Yes, suggestions.

	More experimentation in the operational testbed may generate
	some empirical numbers/processes that work.  Not convinced
	that running this on the live system is reasonable.

% >         key duration should be better fleshed out. Experiences from
% >         the existing testbed may be useful.
%
% yes, suggestions please,
% as well as key length key set size etc, etc.

	More work within the existing testbed will generate such
	numbers that have some grounding in experience.

% >         key publication methods have been explored but do need further
% >         work.
%
% agreed, this is one of many the research programs that this experiment
% will hopefully shed some light on what works and what does not.
% Issues involve:
%          - DS or KEY as published record
%          - where to publish
%          - is there a way to auto-configure resolvers trusted keying list

	So... why are we considering experimenting with the live,
	production root system at this time?  IMHO, this is lunacy.
	We have a working, experimental system in play where most
	(all) of these issues can be tested.  Folks that have
	serious commercial interests in a stable system will not be
	amused when we start experimenting with the systems that
	they depend on.

%          Olafur

--
--bill