To: Philip Hazel <ph10@cus.cam.ac.uk>, Tom Limoncelli <tal@lumeta.com>, Bill Manning <bmanning@ISI.EDU>
Cc: <dnsop@cafax.se>
From: Daniel Senie <dts@senie.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 10:33:38 -0500
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dnsop-dontpublish-unreachable-03.txt

At 09:29 AM 2/18/02, Philip Hazel wrote:
>On Fri, 15 Feb 2002, Tom Limoncelli wrote:
>
> > IMHO the draft/RFC is useless if it doesn't include an explicit list.
>
>On Fri, 15 Feb 2002, Bill Manning wrote:
>
> >       beware of explict lists.
>
>Clearly there is disagreement here.
>
> > By not listing the explicit list, you are assuming that the reader is as
> > smart as the author.
>
>No I'm not! My smartness index in this area is low. I do not myself have
>an explicit list. I fear there are plenty of things I'm unaware of. I
>fear that trying to construct a list will be a rathole. I'm not a
>network hacker, I'm an MTA implementer who just happened to end up
>trying to push this RFC because I've seem too many DNS screwups in
>connection with email.
>
> > I am constantly recommending this list to clients, and it would be useful
> > if there was one specific RFC that I could point them to (sort of a
> > "drawing a line in the sand").  I'm sure the ISP community would appreciate
> > it also.
>
>I'm sure that a (constantly-updated) list would be really useful. I'm
>not convinced either that I should be involved or that it should appear
>in this RFC.
>
>But I await other opinions on this issue...

Bill Manning's draft is, in my opinion, the document to refer to rather
than listing in this document. I'd like to see that published. I've been
pointing people at the draft quite frequently since there's lots of people
who don't know about the details and think RFC 1918 is everything. Putting
in a reference to Bill's document, though, would probably sink this
document since there's some objection from some party/parties.

Given the resistance to publication of Bill's draft, perhaps it'd make
sense to approach IANA and see if they'd like to have that document as part
of the IANA database?

Daniel Senie                                        dts@senie.com
Amaranth Networks Inc.                    http://www.amaranth.com

Home | Date list | Subject list