To: Tom Limoncelli <tal@lumeta.com>
Cc: dnsop@cafax.se, Mats Dufberg <dufberg@nic-se.se>, Philip Hazel <ph10@cus.cam.ac.uk>
From: Bill Manning <bmanning@ISI.EDU>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 09:43:36 -0800
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dnsop-dontpublish-unreachable-03.txt

On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 12:11:56PM -0500, Tom Limoncelli wrote:
> On Feb 14, 2002, 09:03 (-0000) Philip Hazel <ph10@cus.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> > I didn't want to put in an explicit list, because people would interpret
> > it to be exhaustive. I was trying in the document to establish a
> > principle, not give a recipe. I don't think this is the place to
> > attempt to list all the private addresses - especially with IPv6 at such
> > an early stage with things changing a lot still. 2 is of course a
> > special case, and I mention some of 3 purely as an example.
>
> IMHO the draft/RFC is useless if it doesn't include an explicit list.
> I am constantly recommending this list to clients, and it would be useful
> if there was one specific RFC that I could point them to (sort of a
> "drawing a line in the sand").  I'm sure the ISP community would appreciate
> it also.
>
> --tal

	beware of explict lists.  draft-manning-dsua-07.txt has been
	around as a draft for nearly five years. some parties in the
	IESG/IAB have squelched its advancement. these are prefixes
	that should only be coded in the DNS in specific cases.
	It's being updated to include IPv6 ranges as well. I don't
	ever expect it to go into Informational RFC status with the
	current makeup of the IESG/IAB.

--bill

Home | Date list | Subject list