To: Tom Limoncelli <tal@lumeta.com>, Bill Manning <bmanning@ISI.EDU>
cc: <dnsop@cafax.se>
From: Philip Hazel <ph10@cus.cam.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 14:29:33 +0000 (GMT)
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dnsop-dontpublish-unreachable-03.txt

On Fri, 15 Feb 2002, Bill Manning wrote:

>	beware of explict lists.

Clearly there is disagreement here.

> By not listing the explicit list, you are assuming that the reader is as
> smart as the author.

No I'm not! My smartness index in this area is low. I do not myself have
an explicit list. I fear there are plenty of things I'm unaware of. I
fear that trying to construct a list will be a rathole. I'm not a
network hacker, I'm an MTA implementer who just happened to end up
trying to push this RFC because I've seem too many DNS screwups in
connection with email.

> I am constantly recommending this list to clients, and it would be useful
> if there was one specific RFC that I could point them to (sort of a
> "drawing a line in the sand").  I'm sure the ISP community would appreciate
> it also.

I'm sure that a (constantly-updated) list would be really useful. I'm
not convinced either that I should be involved or that it should appear
in this RFC.

But I await other opinions on this issue...

ph10@cus.cam.ac.uk      Cambridge, England. Phone: +44 1223 334714.

Home | Date list | Subject list