To: Mats Dufberg <dufberg@nic-se.se>
Cc: Ted Hardie <hardie@oakthorn.com>, <Mark.Andrews@isc.org>, <dnsop@cafax.se>
From: Daniel Senie <dts@senie.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 18:33:48 -0500
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: SRV records - when?

At 06:29 PM 2/14/02, Mats Dufberg wrote:
>On Feb 14, 2002, 17:02 (-0500) Daniel Senie <dts@senie.com> wrote:
>
> > The goal is to get an a mapping to a machine that can handle a service. SRV
> > as defined in RFC2782 returns both address and port number, where for what
> > I was thinking about, address alone would have been better. It's too bad
> > the address and port number were tied together. If we had it to do again,
> > I'd argue for one record pointing at the proper host, and separate query to
> > ask what port to use on that host for a particular protocol if needed.
>
>I don't see the point of having to ask twice. I don't see the problem of
>having the port in the data. On the contrary, by having port number, it is
>more flexible.

The point is to ensure the client talks over the multiple ports to the same
server, in the event a given application requires that. Web-based shopping
sites which use HTTP for speed and HTTPS for checkout security are a prime
example.

> > Given the present definition of SRV, the mechanism will not be able to
> > support services which employ multiple ports, or applications (e.g. web
> > browsers) will have to make assumptions (i.e. look up SRV for http, and
> > assume port 443 for the same host for https) or else sites will not
> > function correctly.
>
>You can handle it by having more than one SRV record.

So you have SRV records pointing at 3 different web farms for http, and
records for https pointing to the same web farms. How do you ensure that a
given resolver gets the SAME server IP address (though different port) for
the http and https requests?

>Mats

>Mats Dufberg <dufberg@nic-se.se>

Daniel Senie                                        dts@senie.com