To: Mats Dufberg <dufberg@nic-se.se>
Cc: Ted Hardie <hardie@oakthorn.com>, <Mark.Andrews@isc.org>, <dnsop@cafax.se>
From: Daniel Senie <dts@senie.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 17:02:27 -0500
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: SRV records - when?

At 03:19 PM 2/14/02, Mats Dufberg wrote:
>On Feb 14, 2002, 14:49 (-0500) Daniel Senie <dts@senie.com> wrote:
>
> > I guess the basic question is whether having SRV records tied to a 1:1
> > mapping of port numbers is desirable, or whether they should be mapped
> > instead to "services."
>
>You are about to redefine SRV. An SRV record connects a service at a
>domain to port and a server. Since http and https cannot share port, they
>cannot share SRV record.

Interesting that RFC 2782 has a note explicitly saying NOT to use port
numbers. The language is less clear on whether the names must be tied to
specific ports. I agree I may be arguing for redefining SRV. That may be
out of scope for an Ops area group. However I have to wonder if it's the
right thing to do.

> > There are cases, such as the present case of HTTP
> > and HTTPS where the "service" described as the "World Wide Web" uses more
> > than one port. To properly point to a particular host to provide service,
> > it doesn't seem useful to do this based on port number.
> >
> > So, the question is should there be a "web" SRV record that can be queried
> > and which clients use to answer the larger service question, instead of
> > finding out about the HTTP port or the HTTPS port.
>
>I'm sorry, I don't understand your solution. Could you describe how to use
>one SRV record for the web service to cover both plain http and https?

The goal is to get an a mapping to a machine that can handle a service. SRV
as defined in RFC2782 returns both address and port number, where for what
I was thinking about, address alone would have been better. It's too bad
the address and port number were tied together. If we had it to do again,
I'd argue for one record pointing at the proper host, and separate query to
ask what port to use on that host for a particular protocol if needed. What
I was thinking about was doing a lookup for a "service," where "service" is
defined in terms of application functionality, not in terms of a 1:1
mapping of "service" to port number.

If it were possible to define a record be defined that answers the question
for "web service," that could be useful. If one asks the question for HTTP,
then asks the question for HTTPS, the answers might be different. Website
operators who really need the two to map together could use existing
load-balancers and such, and keep the state and so forth, but that
technology is already present, and is implemented with short DNS timers,
and so forth.

The solution I was thinking of was to ask for "web," for example, instead
of "http" or "https" and allow that mapping. This would require
registration of pseudo-services in the IANA, effectively service names that
have NO associated port number.

 From RFC 2782: "Service: The symbolic name of the desired service, as
defined in Assigned Numbers [STD 2] or locally." Further, while this RFC
references IANA's database, it doesn't specify specifically that the
service names are from the port number table, though that is what it's been
taken to mean. I was suggesting is a new table at IANA could be used to
specify the specific and appropriate values to be used for the Service
field for SRV requests, and that this would permit what I was suggesting in
the case of web/http/https.

Unfortunately, the response of the SRV record specifies a single port
number, which effectively rules out what I was thinking about. If only an
address were returned by SRV, and another question were asked to get the
port(s), it would be more workable.

Given the present definition of SRV, the mechanism will not be able to
support services which employ multiple ports, or applications (e.g. web
browsers) will have to make assumptions (i.e. look up SRV for http, and
assume port 443 for the same host for https) or else sites will not
function correctly.

I guess the question I'm left with is whether SRV records, as defined, are
useful and sufficient. For some types of services, they are useful. For the
broader spectrum of applications, SRV records, as defined, appear not to be
sufficient.

Dan
Daniel Senie                                        dts@senie.com
Amaranth Networks Inc.                    http://www.amaranth.com