To: Daniel Senie <dts@senie.com>
cc: Ted Hardie <hardie@oakthorn.com>, <Mark.Andrews@isc.org>, <dnsop@cafax.se>
From: Mats Dufberg <dufberg@nic-se.se>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 21:19:47 +0100 (CET)
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: SRV records - when?

On Feb 14, 2002, 14:49 (-0500) Daniel Senie <dts@senie.com> wrote:

> I guess the basic question is whether having SRV records tied to a 1:1
> mapping of port numbers is desirable, or whether they should be mapped
> instead to "services."

You are about to redefine SRV. An SRV record connects a service at a
domain to port and a server. Since http and https cannot share port, they
cannot share SRV record.

> There are cases, such as the present case of HTTP
> and HTTPS where the "service" described as the "World Wide Web" uses more
> than one port. To properly point to a particular host to provide service,
> it doesn't seem useful to do this based on port number.
>
> So, the question is should there be a "web" SRV record that can be queried
> and which clients use to answer the larger service question, instead of
> finding out about the HTTP port or the HTTPS port.

I'm sorry, I don't understand your solution. Could you describe how to use
one SRV record for the web service to cover both plain http and https?

Mats

Mats Dufberg <dufberg@nic-se.se>