To: Daniel Senie <dts@senie.com>
cc: Ted Hardie <hardie@oakthorn.com>, <Mark.Andrews@isc.org>, <dnsop@cafax.se>
From: Mats Dufberg <dufberg@nic-se.se>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 00:44:46 +0100 (CET)
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: SRV records - when?

On Feb 14, 2002, 18:33 (-0500) Daniel Senie <dts@senie.com> wrote:

> The point is to ensure the client talks over the multiple ports to the same
> server, in the event a given application requires that. Web-based shopping
> sites which use HTTP for speed and HTTPS for checkout security are a prime
> example.

In that case you can probably direct the client from the HTTP based
connection to a specific server under HTTPS. But there are probably
situations that don't work.

> So you have SRV records pointing at 3 different web farms for http, and
> records for https pointing to the same web farms. How do you ensure that a
> given resolver gets the SAME server IP address (though different port) for
> the http and https requests?

What I had in mind was virtual domains under https on one server with one
address. A specific service and SRV could solve that problem because we
want to be able to specify port.

_https._tcp.namn1.se.  SRV  0 1  143  www.namn.se.
_https._tcp.namn2.se.  SRV  0 1  144  www.namn.se.
_https._tcp.namn3.se.  SRV  0 1  145  www.namn.se.