To: Bill Manning <bmanning@ISI.EDU>
cc: ngtrans@sunroof.eng.sun.com, namedroppers@ops.ietf.org, ipng@sunroof.eng.sun.com, dnsop@cafax.se
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 20:47:19 +0700
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: (ngtrans) Joint DNSEXT & NGTRANS summary

    Date:        Tue, 14 Aug 2001 03:24:30 -0700 (PDT)
    From:        Bill Manning <bmanning@ISI.EDU>

  | 	Hum... while using this arguement to try and reach consensus
  | 	may be fraught with danger, the basic premise, that the Internet
  | 	is evolutionary, e.g. "we can always upgrade later" is a
  | 	core concept in many peoples minds.

It may be, but they're deluding themselves.

The only plausible argument now for ignoring A6, and persisting with
AAAA, is the current deployed base, and the difficulty of getting all
of it upgraded, and the desire to make IPv6 "real" as soon as possible.

If that's an argument to be listened to now, it can only possibly have
greater and greater force as time passes and AAAA is deployed more, and
used more, than the comparatively trivial amount it is now.

The comment in Tony Hain's message:

    - It is clear that we could evolve from AAAA to A6 later if
      it became necessary.

is not only not clear, it is simply wrong.   There's no way to change
such a basic part of the infrastructure once it is widely deployed.
No way at all.   (That is, unless "later" means next month, of course,
if it is soon enough, it would still be possible - that is, it needs
to happen while the 6bone is still the major long haul IPv6 net, once
we have enough real v6 users that we start getting v6 real v6 infrastructure,
then the time will have passed).

kre

Home | Date list | Subject list