To: kre@munnari.OZ.AU (Robert Elz)
Cc: bmanning@ISI.EDU (Bill Manning), ngtrans@sunroof.eng.sun.com, ipng@sunroof.eng.sun.com, dnsop@cafax.se
From: Bill Manning <bmanning@ISI.EDU>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 07:16:37 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: (ngtrans) Joint DNSEXT & NGTRANS summary

%   | 	Hum... while using this arguement to try and reach consensus
%   | 	may be fraught with danger, the basic premise, that the Internet
%   | 	is evolutionary, e.g. "we can always upgrade later" is a
%   | 	core concept in many peoples minds.
%
% It may be, but they're deluding themselves.
%
% kre

	Hogwash.  EGP -> BGP
		  RIP -> ISIS/OSPF
		  MB/MG -> MX

	All upgrades. Works a treat.

	From this little corner of the world, things look like this:

	AAAA = stds track
	A6   = stds track

	we can do the following:

	a) move one proposal somewhere else on the standards track
	b) Leave them where they are.

	For a), that would mean giving a nodding preference to one,
	based on some criteria. Certain people seem to be leaning
	toward one selection based on operational experience, deployed
	code, and legitimate paranoia that the alternative is operationally
	problematic.
	For b) that leave the "market" to decide, leading to operationally
	problematic state on questionable interoperability.

	Because I beleive that A6 has enough potential, I'm willing
	to have it move to experimental, giving developers and
	operators more time to understand its impact.  I think that
	long term, its benefits will overshadow AAAA and that a
	migration plan can be deployed.  But for now, it needs more
	work and AAAA meets todays limited requirements.

--bill

Home | Date list | Subject list