To: nathanj@optimo.com.au (Nathan Jones)
Cc: bmanning@ISI.EDU (Bill Manning), johani@autonomica.se, alh-ietf@tndh.net (Tony Hain), nathanj@optimo.com.au (Nathan Jones), ngtrans@sunroof.eng.sun.com, namedroppers@ops.ietf.org, ipng@sunroof.eng.sun.com, dnsop@cafax.se
From: Bill Manning <bmanning@ISI.EDU>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 06:10:33 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: (ngtrans) Joint DNSEXT & NGTRANS summary

%
% On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 03:24:30AM -0700, Bill Manning wrote:
% >% I think that such evolution will quickly move from the realm of clear
% >% possibilities to "things that simply will not happen" as the base of
% >% resolvers that serve AAAA clients but doesn't do AAAA synthesis grows.
% >
% >	Lets see, pretty much every resolver "shipped" since 1996
% >	has AAAA support but does not do A4synth. One could infer
% >	that this is a fairly large base.
%
% A large base of software that handles AAAA, but not necessarily a
% large base of DNS administrators using AAAA records.

	Note that Joahn mentioned resolvers and I followed up
	on that idea. You introduce Humans in the form of sysadmins.

% Probably the majority of sysadmins have not yet dealt with IPv6. When
% they start, they will look to standards for guidance.  If we leave A6
% on the standards track now, it will become natural to use A6. This can
% drive deployment of resolvers which do AAAA synthesis.

	Or they can use AAAA, also on the standards track.
	(this is the nub of the issue at hand, at least from here)
	Itojan (sp?) has an excellent draft on the experience
	of sysadmins who have used both AAAA and A6. The results
	are instructive.

% By contrast, if we remove A6 from the standards track now, then there
% is no incentive to implement support for AAAA synthesis. If we then
% turn around and say "we do need A6 after all", there is little
% momentum to implement and deploy A6.

	Until it gets put back on the Standards track, like SRV.

% A6 is already on the standards track and people want to deprecate it before
% it has been given a chance. If the specification is not worthy, perhaps
% the "market" will decide to ignore it, but at least it is available.

	Not depricate, move to a responsible track, for now.

%
% --
% nathanj
% IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
% IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
% FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
% Direct all administrative requests to majordomo@sunroof.eng.sun.com
%

--
--bill