To: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>
cc: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <pbaker@verisign.com>, "'Randy Bush'" <randy@psg.com>, alh-ietf@tndh.net, ngtrans@sunroof.eng.sun.com, namedroppers@ops.ietf.org, ipng@sunroof.eng.sun.com, dnsop@cafax.se
From: Francis Dupont <Francis.Dupont@enst-bretagne.fr>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 14:10:32 +0200
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: (ngtrans) Joint DNSEXT & NGTRANS summary

 In your previous mail you wrote:

   But you make a good point about security.  If people get the idea
   (correctly or not) that they're sacrificing security by supporting v6,
   they won't bother deploying it.  We need to have v6 border routers
   that deliver the same degree of security as NATs do, without actually
   translating addresses.

=> this is easy for TCP (or any connected transport, cf the tcp
established of Cisco routers) but I can't see a way to do this for
UDP without keeping state... Of course this argument doesn't apply
if a real firewall is used (stateless firewalls are out of the market
or should be ASAP).

Regards

Francis.Dupont@enst-bretagne.fr

Home | Date list | Subject list