To: Masataka Ohta <mohta@necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp>
Cc: "D. J. Bernstein" <djb@cr.yp.to>, ngtrans@sunroof.eng.sun.com, namedroppers@ops.ietf.org, ipng@sunroof.eng.sun.com, dnsop@cafax.se
From: "David R. Conrad" <david.conrad@nominum.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2001 11:10:50 -0700
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: (ngtrans) Joint DNSEXT & NGTRANS summary

Ohta-san,

At 05:30 PM 8/8/2001 +0859, Masataka Ohta wrote:
>So, you are saying that the large organiation is currently accepting
>to manually change IP addresses of DNS servers on renumbering, aren't
>you?

Yes.

>If so, A6 is perfectly fine for it for easy and quick renumbering.

I don't think so.  A6 is only a small part of the full problem.

>The only thing to do is to have an RFC for the organization to tell
>renumbering with A6 is as easy as with NAT.

But it wouldn't be since addresses are embedded in (manually edited)
configuration files, filter lists, etc.

Sorta reminds me of the IDN situation.  Instead of focusing on the real
problem (getting higher layers to do the right thing), the focus is on
fixing the DNS...

Rgds,
-drc

Home | Date list | Subject list