To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
cc: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>, ngtrans@sunroof.eng.sun.com, namedroppers@ops.ietf.org, ipng@sunroof.eng.sun.com, dnsop@cafax.se
From: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2001 10:57:32 -0400
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: (ngtrans) Joint DNSEXT & NGTRANS summary

>   | if you renumber using IPv6, all of that state in routers, firewalls,
>   | hosts, applications, etc has to change somehow, and it has to change
>   | with minimal disruption of service.  A6 only addresses one part of that.
>
> This is certainly true.   I don't think anyone is claiming that A6
> solves any problems of itself.   What it does is remove a part of one
> impediment to getting a solution.   That doesn't sound like much, and
> it probably isn't ... but I'd rather not have that impediment, than
> have to deal with it forever.

agreed that we'd be better off without that impediment.  but the A6 method
of removing that impediment creates impediments of its own, and some folks
believe it's not a good tradeoff.  and it's hard to understand the value
of A6 (to understand whether it is worth the cost) without having a good
understanding of the total cost of renumbering.

Keith

Home | Date list | Subject list