To: Alexis Yushin <alexis@nlnetlabs.nl>
cc: James Aldridge <jhma@KPNQwest.net>, Jim Bound <seamus@bit-net.com>, Matt Crawford <crawdad@fnal.gov>, ngtrans@sunroof.eng.sun.com, namedroppers@ops.ietf.org, ipng@sunroof.eng.sun.com, dnsop@cafax.se
From: Paul A Vixie <vixie@vix.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2001 09:00:29 -0700
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: (ngtrans) Joint DNSEXT & NGTRANS summary

> I see a big difference between deprecating/moving to historic and changing
> status to experimental. Experemental implies further development.

I don't see that difference here.  Just as "let's let the market decide"
really just means "let's do whatever Microsoft wants", so it is that "let's
make it experimental" really just means "let's move on."  (I find it amusing
that SRV was experimental but that Microsoft's use of it pulled it forward.)

I was not able to be in London, but had I been there my comments would've been:

	Let's not expect stub resolvers to do the caching necessary to
	understand either A6 or SIG/KEY -- those are things which servers
	ought to use to talk to other servers.  Stub resolvers making
	recursive requests of their name servers should be using AAAA and
	TSIG.  AAAA synthesis of underlying A6, and TSIG to protect
	verified KEY/SIG data for the last mile, is all a client needs.
	Every argument against SIG/KEY or against A6 comes down to either
	the caching problem or the complexity problem, and if we insulate
	the end-stations from those problems, the arguments are reduced to
	things which authority-side tools can be made to cope with.

Hopefully this point was made by somebody.

Home | Date list | Subject list