To: Andreas Gustafsson <gson@nominum.com>
CC: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>, Andreas Gustafsson <Andreas.Gustafsson@nominum.com>, "D. J. Bernstein" <djb@cr.yp.to>, ngtrans@sunroof.eng.sun.com, namedroppers@ops.ietf.org, ipng@sunroof.eng.sun.com, dnsop@cafax.se
From: Masataka Ohta <mohta@necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp>
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2001 06:53:33 +0859 ()
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Joint DNSEXT & NGTRANS agenda

Andreas;

> > > How?   No-one is suggesting that these records be put in the cache.
> >
> > I have been suggesting that these records be put in a referral-local
> > cache content of which is not used for usual A query nor glue A of
> > other referral points.
>
> I think that's an excellent approach, and one that should be seriously
> considered when designing new resolver implementations.  BIND 8 and 9
> have the concept of a single, global cache too deeply ingrained to be
> changed at this point.

As I have been suggesting it long before BIND 8 or9, I have no
intention to check them specifically by myself.

But, if they are implemented rationally, the modification would be:

	Add a field of referral point for a cache entry structure.

	Referral point would be null pointer unless it is cached from
	additional A for NS. Otherwise the referral point for the NS
	would be stored.

	Cache entries are matched considering the referral point, unless
	the answer is used for additional A for NS. Additonal A for NS
	may use cache entry with null referral point

	As all the referral points of a zone share the same glue
	information, zone may be used instead of referral point.

I estimate the modification is a lot easier than several generations of
misdirected attempts to obtain the true weak security.

						Masataka Ohta

Home | Date list | Subject list