To: Mats Dufberg <dufberg@nic-se.se>
cc: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 19:50:00 +0700
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Bogus nic.fr behavior

    Date:        Wed, 7 Feb 2001 12:59:50 +0100 (CET)
    From:        Mats Dufberg <dufberg@nic-se.se>

  | It is very to validate an address of the reasons that you give above.

I am guessing that "difficult" got omitted there.  It wouldn't be if
mailers supported VRFY as 821 required though.   But that's not a dnsop
issue.

  | You can take either of two approaches; you can skip testing,

Yes, that's basically what I do at the minute, which is why I asked
whether anyone had a way to handle this.

  | or you can test as much as is manageable.

Yes, could do, but the problems I mostly see wouldn't be caught by
the simple tests often, so I'm not sure there is a lot of benefit to
them (I don't think I have ever seen anyone here attempting to use
"localhost" in there - though I have seen "" (.) which seems to be
an idea from somewhere on how to avoid spam, and of course the
consequences of $ORIGIN being appended to a FQDN).

kre

Home | Date list | Subject list