To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
cc: <dnsop@cafax.se>
From: Mats Dufberg <dufberg@nic-se.se>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 12:59:50 +0100 (CET)
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Bogus nic.fr behavior

On Wed, 7 Feb 2001, Robert Elz wrote:

> The two problems I'd particularly like to avoid are the valid looking
> e-mail address that simply forwards to what appears to be a black hole
> (some ISPs collecting huge collections of mail no-one ever reads, or
> at least, never responds to).
>
> And worse, the very valid looking "user.registered.dom.ain" where
> "registered.dom.ain" has an MX record that points to the ISP's e-mail
> server, and everything looks well configured.
>
> Until you try and send mail to user@registered.dom.ain and get back
> a bounce message "Relaying for that host denied"...

It is very to validate an address of the reasons that you give above. You
can take either of two approaches; you can skip testing, or you can test
as much as is manageable. Making sure that it is a possible mail domain
(either an A or MX) is quick. Making sure that there is an SMTP server
takes longer time.

Mats

Mats Dufberg                                    dufberg@nic-se.se
NIC-SE                                           +46-8-545 857 06
Box 5774                                    fax: +46-8-545 857 29
SE-114 87 Stockholm                         http://www.nic-se.se/

Home | Date list | Subject list