CC: dnsop@cafax.se
From: "Eric A. Hall" <ehall@ehsco.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 09:52:51 -0800
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Bogus nic.fr behavior

> That's probably technically slightly too much (TCP support is just
> a SHOULD I think), but in practice it is a good thing to check

TCP is required for MX lists which are truncated.

RFC 1123, section 6.1.3.2:

  A mailer must not use a truncated MX response, since this could
  lead to mail loops.

TCP is not required if you can restrict the number and size of MX entries
for a domain name beforehand. Otherwise nobody will be able to send mail
to the affected domain names, which will invalidate the zone.