To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
Cc: Måns Nilsson <mansaxel@nic-se.se>, dnsop@cafax.se
From: Mark.Andrews@nominum.com
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 09:54:35 +1100
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Bogus nic.fr behavior

>     Date:        Wed, 07 Feb 2001 00:58:24 +1100
>     From:        Mark.Andrews@nominum.com
>
>   |  With re-delgation the NS RRset to be
>   | 	delegated to should be a sub-set of those in the zone as that
>   | 	permits smooth transfer.
>
> That's nonsense - the parent data is just glue, and should always
> be identical to that in the zone itself.
>
> To get "smooth transfer" the new servers should be set up, and then
> the old servers made secondary for that (so they start giving out the
> new data).   Then the parent should be updated.
>
> That depends upon the DNS property of there being old data for a while
> after a change (the parent has old data until it s updated) but never
> does the data held by the parent not reflect the data in the autjoritative
> zone file, at some particular point in time.
>
> Allowing configurations where the new servers list the old servers just
> begs for the new servers to do that, without the old servers ever having
> any idea it is happening - which is a genuine recipe for making a
> gigantic mess.
>
> kre

	Robert you are reading more into the statement than was there.

	We know that disjoint set of nameservers in the parent and
	child cause problems.

	Now lets say you have the old and new servers that are disjoint
	sets.  There are two ways to do this.

	We are going from old to new.  All child servers are serving
	the same zone contents.

	Subset.

	Parent old  Child old
		new servers commissioned
	Parent old  Child old + new
		inform parent
	Parent new  Child old + new
	Parent new  Child new
		ttls expired, old servers de-commissioned

	Or

	Forced match.

	Parent old  Child old
		new servers commissioned
	Parent old  Child old + new
		inform parent
	Parent old + new   Child old + new
	Parent old + new   Child new
		inform parent
	Parent new   Child new
		ttls expired, old servers de-commissioned

	I am not saying

	Parent old  Child old
		new servers commissioned
	Parent old  Child new	*** broken zone ***
		inform parent
	Parent new  Child new
		ttls expired, old servers de-commissioned

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc.
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews@nominum.com