To: "Cricket Liu" <Cricket@verisign.com>
Cc: "Bill Manning" <bmanning@isi.edu>, <moore@cs.utk.edu>, "Randy Bush" <randy@psg.com>, "Havard Eidnes" <he@runit.no>, <seamus@bit-net.com>, <users@ipv6.org>, <dnsop@cafax.se>, <ngtrans@sunroof.eng.sun.com>
From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com>
Date: 23 Jan 2001 08:58:34 -0500
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: (ngtrans) Re: IPv6 dns

"Cricket Liu" <Cricket@VeriSign.com> writes:
> Regarding this proposed "reply with A6/AAAA RRs only if queried
> over IPv6" suggestion:  Even if we imagine this enhancement patched
> in to BIND 9.1.0 and deployed on the root name servers, how are we
> going to prevent non-root name servers from redistributing the
> A6/AAAA RRs?

There is no harm if they do. The problem is the root servers
themselves being unable to put out full sets of A records for the
NS'es for "." without overflow. If your local name server has all of
it, there is likely no harm. We especially don't want people doing TCP
based queries against the roots.

We've already been told, by the way, that older versions of BIND won't
cache the AAAA/A6 records at all.

Perry

Home | Date list | Subject list