To: moore@cs.utk.edu
Cc: perry@wasabisystems.com (Perry E. Metzger), randy@psg.com (Randy Bush), he@runit.no (Havard Eidnes), seamus@bit-net.com, users@ipv6.org, dnsop@cafax.se, ngtrans@sunroof.eng.sun.com
From: Bill Manning <bmanning@isi.edu>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 10:00:39 -0800 (PST)
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: (ngtrans) Re: IPv6 dns

%
% Perry,
%
% regarding the new root servers which respond to queries over IPv6 -
% one thing you didn't quite mention, but I suspect is necessary, is
% that their IPv6 addresses be stable. that is, that once root
% servers are established at these addresses and are advertised,
% that there will continue to be authoritative root servers at
% those addresses for the forseeable future.
%
% this has implications for the roots; but perhaps also, for their
% ISPs and for address assignment in general.  regardless of what
% assumptions we make about IPv6 renumbering elsewhere, we don't
% want to renumber the root servers very often.
%
% Keith
%

The stablitity of the addressing plan for a root structure was delt with
about 5 years ago. THe cache usued to have TTL values of all nines, e.g.
never expire. This effects how persistant any specific address has to be
in the root cache. The values were changed to a week, forcing cahce aging to
occur.
That said, I think that long term, stablitiy in the numbering space is
vital to DNS stability. V6 is still young and to gain experience, we
should consider that renumbering will be more frequent in that space.

--
--bill

Home | Date list | Subject list