To: Jim Bound <seamus@bit-net.com>
Cc: itojun@iijlab.net, Christian Huitema <huitema@exchange.microsoft.com>, Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>, Bill Manning <bmanning@isi.edu>, users@ipv6.org, dnsop@cafax.se, ngtrans@sunroof.eng.sun.com
From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com>
Date: 19 Jan 2001 10:45:54 -0500
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: (ngtrans) Re: IPv6 dns

Jim Bound <seamus@bit-net.com> writes:
> I agree with you we should be fine deploying AAA records.  I also agree
> we need to be skeptical about A6 and if they continue to exist we need to
> for sure do the type of experiments Randy suggested.

I must admit to being very skeptical of A6 -- my experience is that
renumbering is not helped by such trivia. Ultimately, the issues in
renumbering are NOT protocol issues, they are issues of how you manage
your administrative databases, and they can't be helped much by tweaks
we make to protocols. Somehow, though, I've been unable to explain
that particularly well in spite of discussion in lots of working
groups, hallway meetings, and other places with many people for the
last four years. (Maybe I need to write an informational RFC, but I
rarely have enough time these days...)

About A6, though: I feel like it is too late to oppose it. I didn't
speak up at the time it was going forward and as a result I sort of
feel as though it isn't clear I have a right to now, but I will say
this: I have deployment experience with quad-A at this time and it has
been working well for me, and I've never felt a burning need for A6's
new capabilities.

Perry

Home | Date list | Subject list