To: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>
Cc: Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>, Jim Bound <seamus@bit-net.com>, users@ipv6.org, dns op wg <dnsop@cafax.se>, ngtrans@sunroof.eng.sun.com
From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@wasabisystems.com>
Date: 19 Jan 2001 19:09:56 -0500
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: (ngtrans) Re: IPv6 dns

Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu> writes:
> > but perhaps you should communicate TECHNICAL NEEDS to ngtrans
>
> please explain what is non-technical about the need to have at least
> one or two servers in place for ip6.arpa?

Those would be nice, yes...

By the way, the overall technical need is for the centralized
infrastructure of the net (which in practice turns out just to be our
DNS infrastructure) to properly support v6 users. That means we need
three things: proper support for reverse lookups, proper support for
v6 records in the NS records deployed by the roots and various TLDs,
and proper support for queries over v6 transport by machines like the
root servers and the servers for various TLD zones.

Note that these needs can be addressed in steps without much
trouble. Providing v6 transport aware root servers can be segregated
from the problem of providing reverse lookups, which can be segregated
from the problem of having NS records associated with machines with
AAAA records for, say, wasabisystems.com

Right now, my initial concern is getting roots with v6 addresses that
reply to queries made over v6.

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@wasabisystems.com
--