To: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@wasabisystems.com>
Cc: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>, Jim Bound <seamus@bit-net.com>, users@ipv6.org, dns op wg <dnsop@cafax.se>, ngtrans@sunroof.eng.sun.com
From: Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 16:23:26 -0800
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: (ngtrans) Re: IPv6 dns

> By the way, the overall technical need is for the centralized
> infrastructure of the net (which in practice turns out just to be our
> DNS infrastructure) to properly support v6 users. That means we need
> three things: proper support for reverse lookups, proper support for
> v6 records in the NS records deployed by the roots and various TLDs,
> and proper support for queries over v6 transport by machines like the
> root servers and the servers for various TLD zones.
>
> Note that these needs can be addressed in steps without much
> trouble. Providing v6 transport aware root servers can be segregated
> from the problem of providing reverse lookups, which can be segregated
> from the problem of having NS records associated with machines with
> AAAA records for, say, wasabisystems.com
>
> Right now, my initial concern is getting roots with v6 addresses that
> reply to queries made over v6.

could you please expand each of these items in just a bit more detail?

like make what needs to be tested a bit more explicit e.g. "(proper support
for reverse lookups, proper support for v6 records in the NS records
deployed by the roots and various TLDs" is open to interpretation)

and then just a wee bit of motivation, so folk can say "yup, i see why
that is important."

and then expnad a bit on the ordering, i.e. which comes second, ...

randy

Home | Date list | Subject list