To: perry@wasabisystems.com
Cc: randy@psg.com, seamus@bit-net.com, users@ipv6.org, dnsop@cafax.se, ngtrans@sunroof.eng.sun.com
From: Havard Eidnes <he@runit.no>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 16:46:38 +0100
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: IPv6 dns

> > I don't suppose use of EDNS0 would serve as a suitable
> > alternative distinguishing criterion for whether to add v6
> > glue records to replies?
>
> The issue is not the vintage of the resolver -- it is a UDP
> datagram length problem. We assume a much larger v6 datagram
> can get through without the risk of fragmentation. Such a v6
> datagram is reasonably large at 1280 bytes. The v4 datagrams
> have much less space for v6 glue records, since we can only
> assume 512 bytes of payload before fragmentation. (The truth is
> it would probably be okay if we assumed most of the world had a
> much larger MTU even for v4. That's a whole different issue,
> though.)

IPv6 may provide a larger minimum MTU guarantee than IPv4.  I
guess that also means that DNS over UDP over IPv6 can in
principle use the larger datagram size (?).

I have also heard mutterings to the effect that IPv6
implementations should be required to use EDNS0, thus, it may
also be a better distinguishing factor, and has a better
probability of making dual-stack machines aware of IPv6 RRs
should the query happen to be made over IPv4 transport.

Regards,

- Håvard

Home | Date list | Subject list