To: randy@psg.com (Randy Bush)
Cc: perry@wasabisystems.com (Perry E. Metzger), seamus@bit-net.com (Jim Bound), users@ipv6.org, dnsop@cafax.se (dns op wg), ngtrans@sunroof.eng.sun.com
From: Bill Manning <bmanning@isi.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 04:14:09 -0800 (PST)
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: IPv6 dns

%
% an example of a worry is cache poisoning of an antique v4 bind.
% ----
% and there are thousands of vulnerable v4 binds still out there.
%
% randy
%

	One might argue that we have only applied the carrot.
	We still have broken/vulnerable code, some pushing
	15 years w/o an upgrade. Perhaps its time to apply
	a stick and let folks know that things will stop working
	or won't be the same unless they upgrade.
	I note that we will have this problem regardless and more
	esp. as we hit "unknown" RR types.  Zones won't load.
	Perhaps we should have dnsops worry about the deployment of
	new types, be it RR or Class?

--
--bill

Home | Date list | Subject list