To: Bill Manning <bmanning@isi.edu>
Cc: perry@wasabisystems.com (Perry E. Metzger), seamus@bit-net.com (Jim Bound), users@ipv6.org, dnsop@cafax.se (dns op wg), ngtrans@sunroof.eng.sun.com
From: Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 04:47:37 -0800
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: IPv6 dns

> % an example of a worry is cache poisoning of an antique v4 bind.
> % ----
> % and there are thousands of vulnerable v4 binds still out there.
>
> 	One might argue that we have only applied the carrot.
> 	We still have broken/vulnerable code, some pushing
> 	15 years w/o an upgrade. Perhaps its time to apply
> 	a stick and let folks know that things will stop working
> 	or won't be the same unless they upgrade.

there are people who don't think it's prudent engineering to break the net
to get people to do something.  silly things about technical and social
responsibility now that the net has grown a bit bigger than boys and their
toys.

of course there are folk with the opposite opinion.

randy

Home | Date list | Subject list