To: Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
Cc: dnsop@cafax.se
From: "David R. Conrad" <david.conrad@nominum.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 19:00:20 -0800
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Commercial Advantages of Hosting Name Servers

Randy,

Went fishing for red herring recently, did you?

The question asked was whether or not an ISP could be given a "commercial
advantage in anyway, for example, in marketing, ..." by hosting a (high
level) domain.  I indicated, that while I might be too cynical and I could
be wrong, I thought that marketing folks at ISPs probably would.  A matter
of opinion.  You then made up bogus statistics and have now branched off
into some diatribe about non-ISPs trying to save ISPs.

I don't believe anyone (that is, either of the "bunch" of two of us) has
proposed (or even discussed) trying to save ISPs from each other nor do I
believe this relevant to the discussion.

If you are honestly claiming that you do not believe ISP marketing folk
would try to gain advantage from hosting a high level domain, then we have
dealt with different ISP marketing folks.  'Nuff said.

Rgds,
-drc

At 03:38 PM 12/11/2000 -0800, Randy Bush wrote:
>let me be more clear.  we have heard a bunch of non-isps tell us how the
>isps need to be saved from eachother.  we have had one isp speak and say
>that they don't need saving.  i have yet to hear an isp who wants you to
>save them.  maybe we will.  until then, the value of more well-meaning
>non-isps offering to help us seems low.
>
>randy

Home | Date list | Subject list