To: Randy Bush <rbush@bainbridge.verio.net>
Cc: Bill Manning <bmanning@zed.isi.edu>, peter@gradwell.com (Peter Gradwell), dnsop@cafax.se
From: "David R. Conrad" <david.conrad@nominum.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 11:10:02 -0800
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Commercial Advantages of Hosting Name Servers

Randy,

I guess I've just become too cynical about what marketing folks will
do.  Perhaps you're right.  Perhaps no ISP's marketing folks would say
"since we run one of the nameservers for <blah>, it is obvious that
competitors."  or "since we run one of the nameservers for <blah>, our
network is obviously better than our competitor who doesn't."  (regardless
of how true such statements might be).

Rgds,
-drc

At 09:57 AM 12/11/2000 -0800, Randy Bush wrote:
>bill said they would, but did not substantiate this with the merest example.
>hard to provide a counterexample to a non-existent example.
>
>but, to make trouble, as a competitor, i would have no problem with, e.g.,
>uunet having a root server near its edge with its peers.
>
>randy, who likes having money near mouths
>

> > Are you suggesting that marketing folk would not take advantage of such a
> > situation?
> >
> > Rgds,
> > -drc

> > > commercial
> peering

> > >i can't find the part of your message which describes the commercial
> > >advantage.
> > >
> > >randy

Home | Date list | Subject list