To: Lars-Johan Liman <liman@sunet.se>
Cc: briansp@walid.com, dnsop@cafax.se
From: Simon Josefsson <simon+dnsop@josefsson.org>
Date: 15 Aug 2000 19:06:29 +0200
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: wrt: draft-ietf-dnsop-inaddr-required-00.txt

Lars-Johan Liman <liman@sunet.se> writes:

> > My first reaction to this document was 'so what', but I see the
> > merits of recommending this as a BCP.  Using DNS for this purpose
> > isn't going to be a panacea for identifying responsibility domains
> > for addresses, but I don't see what harm it could do, and would at
> > least provide a standard document for reference purposes.
>
> Someone is going to question the "rules" if there is no motivation for
> them. "Why should I put costly manpower into maintaining this if it's
> just for someone else's convenience?"

I don't think a BCP has to dictate what should be Right Thing for
everyone, just what's good for the net as a whole and what would
improve interopability.

If people were to think "I'm spending money to make other peoples life
easy", I can't see why they would follow any IETF "standards" at all.
Most cost manpower to maintain.  Supporting IP, SMTP, HTTP, DNS and
even rev-DNS is a investment in infrastructure, they don't generate
revenues themself.

Just my $.2 worth.

Home | Date list | Subject list