To: Lars-Johan Liman <liman@sunet.se>
CC: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Daniel Senie <dts@senie.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 11:10:34 -0400
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: wrt: draft-ietf-dnsop-inaddr-required-00.txt

Lars-Johan Liman wrote:

> dts@senie.com:
> > Ask it another way: if folks are doing this already, should we
> > encourage network operators to make sure inaddr at least functions
> > properly so that IT is not contibuting to end user problems?
>
> Well ... it's one thing to say "everyone does this, so therefore you
> should too", but a BCP to me is really a "Best Current Practice",
> meaning "this is what a bunch of enlightened experienced people think
> is the best for the Internet". I'm not sure "doing what everybody else
> does" is the best for the Internet.

We're talking about a BCP on DNS INADDR, not a BCP about sendmail. I'd
like to focus the discussion of whether we should or should not publish
a document on that first. The CONTENT of the BCP, talking about the
different applications that might run into trouble is another point of
discussion.

Perhaps an additional document should be something like "stupid DNS
tricks, or what NOT to do with the DNS system." That might better
address your concerns about people doing stupid things. In the mean
time, I'd like to see ISPs have more encouragement to actually get their
INADDR tables set up and/or set up properly.

Daniel Senie                                        dts@senie.com
Amaranth Networks Inc.                    http://www.amaranth.com

Home | Date list | Subject list