To: "D. J. Bernstein" <djb@cr.yp.to>
Cc: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 07:45:49 -0800
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: latest Internet Domain Survey

> Vixie's associates used this list to advertise their survey, which
> they're also trying to exploit commercially.
>
> I responded by explaining how to carry out a survey for free. Replacing
> BIND is an essential step in this process; users who skip this step but
> follow the other instructions will end up killing BIND.
>
> Evidently Vixie's associates don't like hearing this, even though
> they're perfectly aware that it's true. And so we've all been treated to
> three messages suggesting, falsely, that BIND works fine under load.
>
> Jerry Scharf writes:
> > those root nameservers running thousands of queries per second
>
> Irrelevant. I said ``the BIND _cache_ dies under heavy load'' (emphasis
> added). Serving local data is trivial.

excerpted from the namedroppers mailing list aup

there is a mailing list for discussion of whose implementation is better,
and why someone else's is broken.  it is weenie-war@ops.ietf.org.  all
discussions of such nature should occur there or on /dev/null.  unlike the
namedroppers list, weenie-war@ops.ietf.org is not archived.

Home | Date list | Subject list