To: dnsop@cafax.se
From: "D. J. Bernstein" <djb@cr.yp.to>
Date: 26 Feb 2000 08:28:26 -0000
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: latest Internet Domain Survey

Vixie's associates used this list to advertise their survey, which
they're also trying to exploit commercially.

I responded by explaining how to carry out a survey for free. Replacing
BIND is an essential step in this process; users who skip this step but
follow the other instructions will end up killing BIND.

Evidently Vixie's associates don't like hearing this, even though
they're perfectly aware that it's true. And so we've all been treated to
three messages suggesting, falsely, that BIND works fine under load.

Jerry Scharf writes:
> those root nameservers running thousands of queries per second

Irrelevant. I said ``the BIND _cache_ dies under heavy load'' (emphasis
added). Serving local data is trivial.

---Dan

Home | Date list | Subject list