To: Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
CC: namedroppers@internic.net, dnsop@cafax.se
From: Tom Limoncelli <tal@research.bell-labs.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 18:42:46 -0400
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: IANA, DNS names, URL names...

Randy Bush wrote:

> > Every year I have to write a report to my boss of my accomplishments.  Most
> > people do.  Which would look better:
> >       I invented the tv:// syntax!!!
> > or
> >       I utilized existing syntax to make a workable solution to specify
> >       television channels in the URL namespace.
>
> the latter at any company at which i would wish to work or from whom i would
> prefer to buy products.

I didn't mean to imply which my company is, by the way.  I'm just stating
how I think industries think, and that we should find a way to reverse
the trend.

First it was cool to be on the internet.
Then it was cool to have a domain.
Now its cool to have a protocol.
Soon it will be cool to have your own URL <scheme>.

Stop the world... I want to get off!

-tal

Home | Date list | Subject list