To: Masataka Ohta <mohta@necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp>
CC: Harald@Alvestrand.no, namedroppers@internic.net, dnsop@cafax.se
From: Tom Limoncelli <tal@research.bell-labs.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 23:33:35 -0400
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: IANA, DNS names, URL names...

Masataka Ohta wrote:

> Tom;
>
> > However, it is not clear what we are to infer from this.  Your statement "URLREG
> > WG is useless" made on this mailing list isn't a clear conclusion.
>
> FYI, just recently, there was a pointless discussion on "tv" URL in
> IETF list.

Industries seem to put a lot of value on having a <scheme> named after them.  We
shouldn't forget this.

Every year I have to write a report to my boss of my accomplishments.  Most
people do.  Which would look better:
	I invented the tv:// syntax!!!
or
	I utilized existing syntax to make a workable solution to specify
	television channels in the URL namespace.

The first one serves a person.  The second one serves the community.  The former
must be discouraged; the latter must be encouraged.  My initial reading of the
URLREG drafts suggests that they would discourage the former but do nothing to
encourage the latter.

--tal

Home | Date list | Subject list