To: tal@research.bell-labs.com (Tom Limoncelli)
Cc: mohta@necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp, Harald@Alvestrand.no, namedroppers@internic.net, dnsop@cafax.se
From: Masataka Ohta <mohta@necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 99 6:50:16 JST
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: IANA, DNS names, URL names...

Tom;

> Industries seem to put a lot of value on having a <scheme> named after them.
> We shouldn't forget this.

And we should not be involved with them.

> Every year I have to write a report to my boss of my accomplishments.  Most
> people do.  Which would look better:
> 	I invented the tv:// syntax!!!
> or
> 	I utilized existing syntax to make a workable solution to specify
> 	television channels in the URL namespace.
>
> The first one serves a person.  The second one serves the community.

Your report to your boss serves the person, you, not the community.
regardless of whatever style you might use.

> The former must be discouraged; the latter must be encouraged.

While I can't understand the reasoning, it's OK if you don't
write any report to your boss of your accomplishments.

						Masataka Ohta

Home | Date list | Subject list