To: Masataka Ohta <mohta@necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp>
CC: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <Harald@Alvestrand.no>, namedroppers@internic.net, dnsop@cafax.se
From: Tom Limoncelli <tal@research.bell-labs.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 21:44:55 -0400
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: IANA, DNS names, URL names...

Masataka-san,

Another summary of your RFC is:
	"The only real 'policy police' of the internet is end-to-end connectivity."

However, it is not clear what we are to infer from this.  Your statement "URLREG
WG is useless" made on this mailing list isn't a clear conclusion.  One might
also conclude "IANA must be extended to support the registration of <scheme>
strings so conflicts are not created."  That would be the opposite conclusion
that you wanted to elicit.

When I read your RFC I thought my mail reader had accidentally deleted the last
paragraph where you make such a statement.

My other field is activism.  From that field I learned a good formula for
certain statements is: "Educate, opinionate, activate".  That is, "Here is an
issue and the two viewpoints.  Here is why my voicepoint is right.  Here's what
you can do to to support this viewpoint."  Your RFC only makes the first portion
clear.

--Tom Limoncelli

Home | Date list | Subject list