To: Harald@Alvestrand.no (Harald Tveit Alvestrand)
Cc: mohta@necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp, namedroppers@internic.net, dnsop@cafax.se
From: Masataka Ohta <mohta@necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 99 8:19:14 JST
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: IANA, DNS names, URL names...

Harald;

> 4) The same argument (if I understand it) applies to well known port numbers,
>     protocol numbers and most other IANA registries.

Yup.

> 1) Your draft does not mention the URL name space

Of course. URL name space is no special that it is not necessary to mention.

> 4) The same argument (if I understand it) applies to well known port numbers,
>     protocol numbers and most other IANA registries. Do you think these
>     functions too are pointless?

It seems to me that you are saying that registration of URL names shoule be
identical to that of well known port numbers and most other IANA registries.

I agree with you, then.

> 3) I disagree with you that URL scheme registration is pointless.

URL scheme registration is fine.

URL scheme registration scheme, which is totally different from that of
well known port numbers, is pointless.

> What's your point?

URLREG WG is pointless.

We don't need TCPPORTREG WG.