To: mohta@necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp (Masataka Ohta)
Cc: hardie@equinix.com, mohta@necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp, liman@sunet.se, dnsop@cafax.se
From: hardie@equinix.com
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 09:00:47 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Single Origin

Masataka,

> You wrote:
>
>   To those peers, the organization announces a route to the
>   network containing the shared-unicast address of the root name
>   server.
>
> which means multiple organizations, each of which having its own
> AS numbers, are the multiple origins of the shared address.

I believe I begin to see the source of your confusion.  Look
back in the abstract:

  These practices presume that a single entity remains
  administratively and operationally responsible for each
  of the distributed servers.

This should probably be updated to say something like "distributed
server groups", because I mean that the whole paper presumes a single
organization handles all of the servers associated with a single
shared unicast address.  So ISP FOO might handle z.root-servers.net,
with distributed copies at various places in its network topologies.
I initially used the language "each of the distributed servers",
because I presumed that the practice might be common for operators
of root servers.

				Ted Hardie

Home | Date list | Subject list