To: mohta@necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp (Masataka Ohta)
Cc: liman@sunet.se, dnsop@cafax.se
From: hardie@equinix.com
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 11:23:49 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Order in the working-group!

Masataka Ohta writes:
> As for Hardie's draft, I can not understand why unique IP address
> of root servers must be confined AS local.
>
> As was discussed in MInneapolis, the source of possible problem is
> advertisement of shared addreses, not unique ones.

I'm not sure what you mean by "confined AS local".  If your question
is "Why should the shared-unicast addresses have a single origin AS?",
then the answer is rfc 1930, section 7.  If the question is why should
they have a single administrative point of contact, then the answer is
that it is considerably easier for those using the servers, as they
don't have to figure out which box is misbehaving before reporting a
problem.  This was a point Randy Bush made very strongly in
Minneapolis.

If you mean something else by "confinded AS local", please explain
further.  Citing the text in the draft you would like to discuss would
be particularly helpful.

				Ted Hardie

Home | Date list | Subject list