To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
CC: Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino <itojun@iijlab.net>, Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi>, dnsop@cafax.se
From: Masataka Ohta <mohta@necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 23:46:00 +0859 ()
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: comments on dnsop-ipv6-dns-issues-00

kre;

>   | Your assumption that source address of a incoming packet is reachable is
>   | improper.
>
> The source is more likely reachable than some DNS server at some unknown
> location

There are multiple DNS servers. Moreover, you must, anyway, rely on
DNS for forward lookup.

> - at least we know the source address is actually alive and connected
> at the time.

Source host is, source address of the host may not.

> Personally, I have lost essentially all faith in the usefulness of addr->name
> translations at all, and wouldn't mind simply saying "cannot be done" (in
> general of course, it might sometimes work, just don't depend upon it).  But
> if it must be done, the node info query way is good enough.

The primary benefit of having a reverse tree is that the tree makes
address assignement unique.

>   | Never assume routing symmetric.
>
> What does that have to do with anything?

v6 people including itojun persistently assume it, for example, for
such topics as a source address selection.

							Masataka Ohta