To: Masataka Ohta <mohta@necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp>
cc: Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino <itojun@iijlab.net>, Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi>, dnsop@cafax.se
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 15:03:06 +1100
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: comments on dnsop-ipv6-dns-issues-00

    Date:        Thu, 21 Nov 2002 21:12:47 +0859 ()
    From:        Masataka Ohta <mohta@necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp>

  | Your assumption that source address of a incoming packet is reachable is
  | improper.

The source is more likely reachable than some DNS server at some unknown
location - at least we know the source address is actually alive and connected
at the time.

The two issues with using info queries for addr->name translation are
authentication, and lookups well after the event, both of which DNS servers
are likely to do better.

Personally, I have lost essentially all faith in the usefulness of addr->name
translations at all, and wouldn't mind simply saying "cannot be done" (in
general of course, it might sometimes work, just don't depend upon it).  But
if it must be done, the node info query way is good enough.

  | Never assume routing symmetric.

What does that have to do with anything?

kre