To: Bruce Campbell <bruce.campbell@ripe.net>
Cc: Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>, Bill Woodcock <woody@pch.net>, dnsop@cafax.se
From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@nic.fr>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 15:02:21 +0100
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: quibbles about what is anycast.

On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 02:50:44PM +0100,
 Bruce Campbell <bruce.campbell@ripe.net> wrote
 a message of 44 lines which said:

> Statistically (and I have pretty graphs to back this up), short-lived TCP
> queries are not interrupted due to changes in the underlying routing
> infrastructure.

RFC 3258 gave another reason why anycast will work for a set of name
servers widely spreaded (such as in Karrenberg's proposal to anycast
k.root-servers.net):

The second is that the aim of this proposal is to diversify
topological placement; for most users, this means that the
coordination of placement will ensure that new instances of a name
server will be at a significantly different cost metric from existing
instances.  Some set of users may end up in the middle, but that
should be relatively rare.