To: Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
cc: Bill Woodcock <woody@pch.net>, <dnsop@cafax.se>
From: Bruce Campbell <bruce.campbell@ripe.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 14:50:44 +0100 (CET)
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: quibbles about what is anycast.

On Tue, 5 Nov 2002, Brad Knowles wrote:

> At 2:35 AM -0800 2002/11/05, Bill Woodcock wrote:
>
> >        Brad Knowles wrote faster than he thought:
> >      > True anycast for protocols other than UDP?  I sincerely doubt it.
> >      > If you have evidence for this, I'd love to see it.
> >
> >  Works fine for TCP and ICMP.  What protocols do you have doubts about?
>
> 	I have doubts about TCP.  Can you explain in more detail how it
> works for TCP, especially for the case where the route from IP
> address A to IP address B changes to a different machine that serves
> IP address B, while in the middle of a connection?

If the route changes in the middle of a connection, then the TCP stream is
reset as the new back-end server has no knowledge of the ongoing TCP
stream.  This of course excludes smart backends which pass knowledge of
TCP state around and can continue with the end-user being none-the-wiser.

However, we're discussing TCP as used in DNS.  That means either very
short TCP streams (simply because it was larger than UDP), or mildly long
(AXFRs).

Statistically (and I have pretty graphs to back this up), short-lived TCP
queries are not interrupted due to changes in the underlying routing
infrastructure.

Long-lived TCP streams are an altogether seperate matter, and are more
likely to be interrupted by such changes over a larger path, however this
probability is still low.

> And how often do
> route changes occur?

In terms of your average DNS TCP connection, hardly ever.

                   Systems/Network Engineer                             NCC
                 www.ripe.net - PGP562C8B1B             Operations/Security